Are Murphy Beds Safe?
Have you thought about installing Murphy Beds, but worried that it might be risky — especially with children around? Well, you can stop worrying. At least about the hazards of Murphy Beds. According to Jody Rosen, a contributing writer for The New York Times, statistically speaking you are probably as likely to die by tripping over an ottoman than being killed by a Murphy Bed. However, it is still necessary to use common sense and to follow essential safety precautions when setting up and using a Murphy Bed, also known as a wall bed or wall bed. Wilding wall beds are safe when installed properly. Each wall bed model comes with an Installation Instruction booklet detailing step-by-step procedures for safe installation, and the first page contains the following warning:WARNING! ALL MURPHY/WALLBED SYSTEMS CONTAIN POWERFUL LIFTING COMPONENTS. FAILURE TO USE AND FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS DURING THE INSTALLATION PROCESS COULD RESULT IN SEVERE PERSONAL INJURY TO USER OR DAMAGE TO PRODUCT. PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 866-725-6401 FOR ANY QUESTIONS. So exactly what does safe mean? According to Miriam-Webster, being safe is being free from harm or risk. But in today’s complex world it’s actually pretty difficult to name anything we do on a given day that is totally free from harm or risk. For example, many people have a fear of flying and consider it to be extremely risky. But according to a 2016 article in ODYSSEY here are some things more likely to happen to you than dying in a plane crash:
- Getting Poisoned – 1 in 1,400
- Getting Murdered – 1 in 18,000
- Dying in a Tornado – 1 in 60,000
- Dying from a Bee Sting – 1 in 79,842
- Drowning in your Bathtub – 1 in 840,000
- Using Anchors to Prevent Furniture and Appliance Tip-Overs. Heavy furniture, televisions, and ranges can tip over and crush young children. For added security, these heavy products should be anchored to a wall or attached to the floor.
- Using Safety Latches and Locks for cabinets and drawers in bathrooms, kitchens, and other potentially dangerous areas to help prevent poisoning and other injuries.
- Using Safety Gates to help prevent falls down stairways and to keep children from going into rooms and other areas with possible dangers.
- Using Anti-Scald Devices for sink faucets and showerheads and setting the temperature on the water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit to help prevent burns from hot water.
- Using Window Guards and Safety Netting to help prevent falls from windows, decks, balconies, and other elevated areas.
- Using Outlet Covers and Outlet Plates to help prevent electric shock or electrocution.
- Using Cordless Window Coverings in order to eliminate the potential for strangulation.
Is There A Chance My Wilding Wallbed Can Accidentally Close When In Use?Wilding Wallbeds has been building and shipping Murphy Beds for more than two decades. Over that time, the company has built and delivered more than 25,000 units. When properly installed, there is no chance of a Wilding wall bed accidentally closing during normal use. As far as accidentally opening, this is also not possible when properly installed. The force of the pistons or springs, depending on the wall bed model, holds the wall bed in the closed position. The piston lift beds come with locking legs and locks can be added to the spring lift beds.
Can My Wilding Wallbed Fall On Someone If There Is An Earthquake?When properly attached to wall studs, Wilding wall beds will not accidentally fall. Not a single Wilding wall bed has ever become detached from the wall or fallen on someone due to an earthquake. Injuries are extremely rare and are always directly related to not following basic setup instructions or improperly attaching a unit to the wall.
There Are Other Murphy Bed Companies. Why Buy A Wilding Murphy Bed?There are multiple obvious reasons to purchase a Wilding wall bed, including lifetime warranty; unsurpassed quality; real wood; availability of both horizontal and vertical orientation of beds; a broad selection of styles; and availability of a variety of side cabinets and bed-top cabinets. Wilding Murphy Beds take up as little as 16” of depth into the room when the bed is in the “up” position. They are available in twin size, full size, queen size or king size and are safe, easy-to-operate, and extremely beautiful pieces of furniture. There are also many options for style – traditional, elegant, and contemporary, etc. – and a choice of several types of hardwood and color. Sheets and other bedding can be left in place when storing the bed away, so the bed is ready to use whenever needed, adding to the convenience. Side cabinets, including wardrobes that function as mini-closets, are also available. The best Murphy Bed companies, like Wilding Wallbeds, have additional safety features added to their Murphy Beds. Here’s a couple that I really like.
Safety Locks For Murphy Beds
Wilding Wallbeds has introduced a Safety Lock system for all of the Studio Series Murphy Beds in addition to their HomeFront and Gallery Series Murphy Beds. It is a key-lock system that is positioned on each side of the bed and out of the reach of small children. This provides even more safety and security because it prevents the bed from opening — unless you mean for it to open. It is another reason you can trust Wilding Wallbeds.In addition to its extensive Murphy Bed product line, made-for-Murphy Beds Serta mattresses, all-wood side and bed top cabinets, home offices, Do-It-Yourself kits, and easy-to-install Murphy Frames, Wilding Wallbeds offers several specialized space-saving solutions, including:
- Disappearing Desk Bed The Disappearing Desk Bed allows a small room or area to be turned into both a bedroom and home office simultaneously. The Disappearing Desk Bed by Wilding Wallbeds can be purchased in twin, full, or queen size. It is a beautiful and exceptionally useful piece of furniture and is a fantastic, cost-effective solution to the problem of limited floor space. The ingenious design uses a hinging system that keeps the desk level to the floor as the mattress is opened or closed. The desktop sets at 31″ from the floor and is a roomy 25″ deep. There is no need to clear the spacious desktop of anything less than 17” high in order to convert it from a desk into a bed. To ensure safety, the Disappearing Desk Bed is secured in the upright position by use of locking pin hardware on both the left and right sides.
- Sofa Murphy Bed Purchasing a beautiful and functional Sofa Murphy Bed by Wilding Wallbeds is another resourceful way to optimize limited floor space. The Sofa Murphy Bed is an exceptionally comfortable couch during the day and a cozy king or queen size bed at night. The Sofa Murphy Bed in effect creates extra space in the room by enabling the use of the unit as a bed without eliminating seating space when the bed is not needed. The unit lowers down over the sofa and, presto chango, turns the sofa into a cozy and comfortable queen or a king-size bed.
- Bookcase Wallbed Purchasing a Wilding Wallbeds Bookcase Wallbed is another resourceful way to create additional floor space. Bookcase Murphy Beds provide the convenience of a Murphy Bed and the storage of an integral bookcase in a single unit. Pull latches lock the bookcase shelving in place when the bed is in the “up” position.
- Bunk Bed Wallbed Wilding Bunk Beds are also a great space-saving solution. The Bunk Bed comes standard as twin-over-twin but is also available in twin extra long for taller guests. Not just for kids, Wilding Bunk Bed systems can accommodate adults in comfort while freeing up valuable space during the day. Bunk Beds are only 17″ deep when in the “up” position. Like all Wilding products, real wood bunk bed frames are sturdily built and will last a lifetime.
Does Wilding Wallbeds Offer Installation Service?including built-in installations, in Southern Utah, Las Vegas, and throughout most of Southern California. In all other areas, customers can choose to do the setup themselves or can hire a local handyman. Any handyman worth his salt can easily install a Wilding wall bed. This brings up some additional questions. Installing your own Murphy Beds. How hard is it? What tools are needed? How long will it take? These are just a few of the questions that most people run into when they are considering getting Murphy Beds. Fortunately, there are places to get help when you need it. For instance, you can get some advice about installing a Murphy Bed into a wall. There are seven steps to help you get the job done. Plus, every Wilding model comes with detailed written and/or video instructions. Here’s a brief rundown.
Tips For Installing Murphy Beds
- Location:Make sure you pick a spot where the bed won’t become a hazard and you won’t have to move other objects to open and close it.
- Build your cabinet:The majority of these Murphy Beds will come with a cabinet shell. Instructions should be included. Make sure you read them carefully and follow each step.
- Attach it to the wall:Use L brackets to do this. Screw them to the wall above the cabinet with the horizontal leg lying on the cabinet. Once the cabinet is in the right place, screw the horizontal leg of the bracket into the cabinet.
- Get it ready:Read your instructions for the Murphy Bed and make sure you have everything you need to install it.
- Cradle it:Murphy Beds are supported by a cradle that is attached to the floor.
- Install the Cradle:First, get the cradle in the right spot inside the cabinet. Mark the location for the screws. Drill the holes for the screws. Insert your wall plugs.
- Attach the bed:Your bed should fit to the cradle with two roll bars that go into a prepared socket. The bed rotates around the roll bars. No need to secure it thanks to gravity preventing it from coming loose.
- Counter springs:There are holes at the bottom of the bed and top of the cradle. Use these to mount the springs that will be counterweights while the bed is raised and lowered. It can be very difficult to get these springs fitted. Try using a sturdy screwdriver to lever the springs into the proper position. Congrats! Your bed is installed!
Can My Wilding Wallbed Be Moved If We Move To Another House?Yes. Wilding wall beds are portable. If you need to move your Wilding wall bed to another room or house after you buy it, it is simple to do so. All Wilding wall beds can easily be detached from the wall, disassembled, and moved to another location.
Customer ServiceSpeaking of customer service, if you still have questions or need assistance, feel free to call the Customer Service Hotline at 1-866-725-6401. Either that, or you can go to the customer service page. It shouldn’t take long to get your problem resolved! Wilding Wallbeds has your interests covered from start to finish. Once your order has been set up, you shouldn’t have any need to get help from Wilding Wallbeds. Wilding has combined the high-tech, fast-paced manufacturing toolset with artisan handcrafted techniques. All this was done in an effort to consistently create a product that was intended to beautifully stand the test of time. Their promise to you: “Through team efforts, handcrafting the finest quality wall beds and innovative space-saving products that deliver superior value, and creating a positive customer experience through attention to detail and unsurpassed customer service.”
Written by Rich Peck Chino Hills Showroom Manager Phone: (909) 680-4141