Wall Beds Save Space and Look Great
With increasing population , there is an immediate need for more space, as the sizes of houses are getting smaller and more expensive. If you happen to stay in a metropolitan city then you would be able to appreciate space saving furniture. Town houses as compared to houses in countryside are smaller and more compact. Gone are those days when it was common to enjoy huge open spaces, with bulky and vintage furniture. Now with changing times, interior decoration has come a long way, and it is now that sleek and compact is more in fashion than bulky and immense furniture. Not only do they add special character to the decor but some also serve dual purpose.
If you happen to focus on a typical bedroom, then you would realize that most of the space in the bedroom is occupied by the beds and there is very little space left for other furniture to lie down. Imagine if you could do away with the bed when it is not in use, there would automatically be a lot of space left. In such a scenario a bedroom can be used as some other room such as a playroom for kids, a study room for teenagers or an office for a working professional during day time.
It’s very easy said and done, but very difficult to actually move the bed and pack it safely away every single day when not in use. If you are thinking of how this can be possible then there are various ways by which this is possible. One of the most widely used ways is by making use of hidden beds or hideaway beds.
What is a hideaway bed ?
A hideaway bed refers to a bed fixed or attached on something which can be folded and packed into a cabinet, a closet attached to a wall. Yes it’s a state of the art kind of product as it is so neatly enclosed into a cabinet which does not even give a slightest of the clue of it handling a full size bed. The mattresses come with special elastic bands which helps it in fastening to the bed frame. It has a special folding mechanism which maintains the upright position even when it is collapsed and remains in a flat position without disturbing its shape. With the improvement in technology, hide away beds have come a long way since it was first introduced when the spring had to be adjusted from time to time in order to keep it safe and perform its functions. Now with more advanced technology remote operated bed have been introduced which are backed with electronic mechanism that does not require any manual adjustments.
Other than hideaway beds there are many other kinds of beds which help save space. They primarily are of two types one which helps save space and other which serve a specific purpose. Following are few of the examples of beds which either help save space or perform a specific function or both.
- Bunk beds - Bunk beds are two or three identical beds which stack on top of one another thus saving space. The upper tier can be reached through a ladder. Bunk beds are very popular with kids as they have a character and are available in various colors and sizes. Bunks beds are very common in hostels, dormitory and camps. There are different kinds of bunk beds such as a bottom double bed and a single upper bed, bunk beds which can be separated into two single beds and also beds which convert into a working space at the bottom and provide a sleeping space on the top.
- Day Beds - Day beds are very common in those houses which make use of a single room more often than others. Day bed can be used as a couch during the day and can be used as a normal bed during night time. In case of a couch, one can style it accordingly with the help of cushions and throws, whereas in case of a bed one can replace the cushions with pillows and blankets. Day beds are quite similar to a sofa's.
- Desk beds – Desk Beds are one of the most appropriate arrangements for people who are looking to do two activities without swapping. They are quite similar to a bunk bed wherein the bottom part has a desk for working or a play area for the kids and the upper portion has a bed which can be reached with a ladder. Desk beds can also be a hidden bed wherein the bed portion can collapse and the desk remains during day time. Another arrangement is where the desk glides down behind the bed. When the desk is in use the bed lies either vertically or horizontally close to the wall which appears to be a kind of a cupboard or gets camouflaged to the color of the wall.
- Fold away bed - A fold away bed is somewhat like an advanced futon in which the mattress and the bedding can fold up and the base gets collapsed and gets stored in a cabinet which looks like a cupboard. Fold away beds are generally small in size and are generally single bed. These are best suitable for a studio. They are available in different styles and qualities. Some come with a cotton mattress which is relatively cheaper than the ones which come with spring mattresses.
- Futon beds - Futon beds are generally for dual purpose which can be used for sitting and lounging during the day time and resting and sleeping during night time. The mattress is made of cotton and is not bulky thus can be folded and stored when not in use or can be laid on the frame which looks like a couch. A futon is absolutely wonderful for lounging and great for a good night's sleep.
- Loft bed - Loft beds are not very commonly seen as they are generally built to save space or to provide character to a room. People who are looking for space often consider a loft bed which is built on a ceiling level so that it does not disrupt the living space below. People who like a bit of a character often prefer a loft bed; they are also suitable for children as this uses the space properly and does not consume the floor space at all. Loft beds are definitely not suitable for elderly people or people with back problem but can be very tempting for children.
- Murphy Bed - Murphy beds are a perfect example of a hideaway bed as they get effortlessly stored in their own cabinet which is placed along the wall. In case of a Murphy bed the entire bed gets collapsed and stored in the cupboard without even providing a hint of it being a bed when it is stored. These beds can vary in quality; some may be inexpensive with a simple mechanism, whereas some, like the Zoom bed which uses a remote control mechanism can be quite expensive.
- Sofa bed - Sofa bed is one of the most common beds used in households which aim at saving space and are looking for a dual purpose. Sofa bed consist of a sofa which has a skilfully tucked in mattress on its underneath, this fold up into a full size mattress which can be spread out and reclined at various position in cases of lounging. Although sofa beds are mostly used as a sofa, they can occasionally be used as a bed in case of need. They are best suitable for small apartments and studios. They are used in living room and are seldom seen in bedrooms.
- Storage beds - Storage beds are like ordinary beds except from a storage unit hidden underneath. These have a trunk which can be reached by pulling the upper base or a drawer underneath which can be pulled. These spaces are great for storing bulky items such as sheets and blankets when not in use.
Apparently beds are supposed to be the most bulky piece of furniture and which occupies the maximum amount space. Indeed there are other pieces of bulky furniture found in your home as well such as a sofa, dining table. But, these are used throughout the day. Beds are something which are generally only used for sleeping at night time. Therefore if you are looking to find some space during day time then it's best to target the bedroom. After having a look at all the various kinds of beds which aims at either providing two or more functions or beds which aim at saving space, the clear winner among all of them seems to be a hidden bed such as a murphy bed. They are available in various sizes such as a twin bed, a queen size bed or even a king size bed.
They are not only being used in houses, but are also commonly used in resident halls in order to save space and provide a dual purpose for the student that is to use the study table at day and use the bed at night time.
Hidden beds or Disappearing Desk Bed have given a new definition to resident halls or college dorm rooms which are generally always running out of space. The hide away beds effortlessly fit against the wall, as the desk automatically glides under the bed hiding it during night time. Many residence halls in the United States of America are making use of hidden beds as they aim at doubling the space when one of them namely a desk and a bed is not in use. The hidden bed covers both the aspects of furniture which is most used by a student, that is the bed and the study.
How does it operate?
Hidden bed has a very easy to operate mechanism, which is globally patented. The best part about the hidden bed mechanism is that once the bed is pulled out the desk automatically get adjusted to the same angle as the bed, without letting the things on the desk fall off. Therefore you do not really have to clear the clutter on the desk each time you decide to use the bed function. If you are wondering that you would not be able to place anything on the desk such as the alarm clock or your laptop, then this has been taken care of as well. The 18 inch gap is provided between the bed and the desk which provides ample space for your storage. The bed is designed to allow plugged in devices to continue sitting on the desk even when the bed is pulled down at night. With so many advantages hide away bed comes in various styles and sizes such as the Twin bed, full bed and a queen size. Many vendors also custom make hide away bed for children’s room, nurseries and play group. As mentioned above, hidden beds are being widely used in hostels and resident halls for students as they are compact and provide plenty of room for a desk and a chair when a bed is not being used.
Another type of hide away beds is the Wall beds and pull down beds.
Wall beds and pull down beds are available in twin size, full size, queen size and king size. They serve the same function as a hidden bed, which is to save space. However most of the wall beds do not serve dual function, they can be pulled out when the need arises, such as a guest bed or a visitors bed and can be folded back once the guest has left. There are vendors who custom built the bed according to the client needs and requirement. Some beds also come with matching wardrobes and chest of drawers which acts as a complete unit when the bed is pulled out.
The wall beds can either be manually operated, as in pulling out the bed against the wall when in need or can be electronically operated with the help of a remote control. In case of a bulky double bed, they generally come with an electronic mechanism, as pulling the entire unit is very cumbersome, however sleeker bed do well with a manual pull out mechanism. While buying a pull out bed one should very careful in examining the pull down mechanism and must avoid the cheap pull out mechanism. If the pull out mechanism is damaged, then it would be very difficult to put the bed against the wall.
How to install a hideaway bed yourself?
Most of the vendors offer free installation service for a hide away bed, however if you still want to do it yourself or if your vendor does not provide you with a complimentary assembly kit then you can refer to the hide away bed plans which generally come along with the product and can also be found online. These manuals would help you with what all tools and material are required to install a hideaway bed. They might differ from variations of hideaway bed such as the basic hideaway bed to the ones which come with cabinets, desks and bookshelves. If you are good at DIY and have some spare time, then you can try it yourself and save a lot of money, while others can hire a handyman or a contractor who can provide you with a helping hand.
Basic Tools required to build a hide away bed?
In order to build a hide away bed, one needs a variety of tools and equipment’s which comprise of a stepladder, electric drill, stud finder, screwdriver and wrenches. These can be bought separately or can be found in a toolbox. If you are hiring a contractor then he will already have the tools required.
What all would you find in a Hideaway bed Assembly Kits?
In order to build a hide away bed effectively it is wise to follow step by step instructions which are given in the manual. If you are experienced in handling furniture and have done some assembly work before then you would be able to understand it without any difficulty. Some manuals also come with an assembly CD which shows exactly how to assemble the unit. There are clear and precise diagrams with measurement and directions on the manual. The manual will also illustrate which all hardware are used such as the pivots, hydraulic lifts and rods. When it comes to folding mechanism, it may require some assistance and you can gather some guidance for online resources. It’s always better to read the manual thoroughly before starting the assembly work as one small mistake can make things difficult and end up doubling your work. Since it’s a bulky item therefore try your hands on it only if you are 100% confident that you would be able to handle it otherwise seek external help.